Please note: Trains will run to the end of September, with October being set aside for maintenance and training.
The Derwent Valley Light Railway officially opened on the 19th of July 1913 and ran for a distance of nearly 16 miles from Layerthorpe Station at York to the village of Cliffe Common near Selby. Although passengers were carried in the early years, this discontinued in 1926 and the railway remained predominantly agricultural throughout the rest of its history.
The DVLR was never nationalised and remained very much a “light” railway until its closure in October 1981. The only section of the railway still in use is the half-mile section within the Museum grounds.
The DVLR currently runs a number of diesel locomotives on the half-mile section of track. This short vidoe footage features Merlin (a guest steam loco which was here during early 2015) & one of our resident diesel locomotives ‘03709’.